Sunday 25 August 2013

It's Official... Ive become my High School Chemistry teacher!

The past week has been filled with sad goodbyes and long-waited hellos; I am back in India!

Palastine was so much more than I could have planned for. When I left India in April, Bethlehem, Palastine was just a visa run so that I could return to India for a second six month stint. But as usual, God proved to me that His plans do not fit in my perfect little box. Bethlehem rocked me. Their hunger for the arts is palpable and it was such a blessing to stand beside them and play a part in their summer projects and classes. Here's a small taste of what I was able to help out in:


Please don't judge me. I wanted to dance my interview instead of speaking, but they said no. Seriously Rami, you should have just let me stick to what I am good at!  :) 

Saying goodbye to my new friends both in and outside of the Diyar family was hard and filled with tears (whether you saw them or not). As the locals say "Enshalla" or "God willing" I will return :)  And I really mean it. I hope that it is God's will for me to go back to Bethlehem. And soon! 



India is even more beautiful than I remember.

My memory was first jolted at the airport in Mumbai when I saw a petite woman in a beautiful bold-colored sari. During our first six months, my team would tease me because nearly everyday I would sit in the back of the car gawking at the brightly colored, sparkly, simple, extravagant, beaded, bold, beautiful, etc. saris. They really never got old to me. So yes, the first rekindling of my love for India came in the form of a sari as I sat in what seemed like the never-ending line for customs in Mumbai. Thank you Lord :) 

Then, the sweet and caring people at the Vijayawada airport. I met soldiers who want to come and celebrate my birthday with me in Tenali, a local pastor, a nurse, a doctor, a woman visiting family who is actually from the states, and others. So good :)

On the ride home, it was such a joy to see what the rain has done to the scenery. Everything, seriously everything is green!!! So, so, so beautiful. This really is God's country!



It's been 6 days and a slow intro back into life here-- which really is a blessing. I've said "hi" to a few friends, and am looking forward to many more to come. Thursday was our first day of teaching chemistry- no wait English! :) and this is why.... Back in high school, my chem teacher would always get chalk dust on his face; it was pretty funny. This time around, I am teaching English in the schools in Tenali as opposed to dance which means lots and lots of writing on chalkboards. Yep. I was covered in chalk dust after teaching on Thursday. So yes. It is official: I have turned into my high school chemistry teacher! At least that means that one day I will get married and have a dog as a pet, just as Mr. Rivas did, right?! So yes mom and dad, there is still hope. Maybe. Possibly.  :) 


Please continue to pray for my transition back into Indian life :) I'm caught in between grieving my friends in Palestine and the independence I had there and enjoying the beauty of India with all my friends here... all the while missing friends and family back home. It's a lot, but God is good and He is sufficient!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update! Love you friend! And love your heart! Give India, the residency team & the HI staff a HUGE hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read these updates. Hope you had an amazing birthday. Now you're officially old like me :-) I went out to dinner with Jenn on her half birthday and we talked about you. Miss you much!

    ReplyDelete